Found a recipe online recently for Avocado Panzanella. Original recipe had some variations than below. Tried my variant today and found it to be quite tasty!
- 1/2 loaf sprouted whole grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 California avocados, stoned, peeled, and chopped
- 4 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 20 basil leaves (Chop large leaves; leave small leaves whole.)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the cubed bread on a sheet pan. Drizzle the bread with 3 tablespoons olive oil. The sprinkle it with pepper. Mix it together with you hands or a large spoon. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Stir once during baking. Allow to cool.
In a large bowl, mix together the avocados, tomatoes, capers, red onion, and basil. Add the bread cubes and toss with the dressing. Season with additional pepper if needed to taste.
Ideally, let the panzanella sit for about 20 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld.